Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Saturday in the life of a jewelry artist

Weekend, finally! The week in my daytime job has been busy and there wasn't much energy left in the evenings to be creative. Today however, ha! My to-do list is miles long and at least 54 of the 59 points on it scream "jewelry".
Unfortunately I can't neglect the remaining points. I give my wire spools a loving look worthy of a Mom before I carry the laundry upstairs, a cat between my feet, the others behind me. Laundry into the washer, vacuum cleaner out of the closet. Two out of three cats take refuge underneath the desk. Ok, what's next? Of course, half the fridge is empty. I settle for a quick stop at the small supermarket at the corner one street up. Why are milk cartons so heavy? Why don't cats clean their own litter boxes? Why isn't the Earth a disk?
We are slowly getting there. Next on the to-do list are blog posts, social networks and e-mails. Hm, no blog posts without pictures. Where did the sun go and while I am at asking questions to which I don't get an answer - where did the morning go??

I feel my brain frying, even without sun. I need a small break, just one round of an online game which doesn't require much thinking. Actually I am grateful when a cat breaks my non-thinking concentration by jumping onto my lap with extended claws before I get lost.
I start on the easy blog posts and do a quick network tour. In between I put the laundry from the washer into the dryer.
Finally I give up. I need food and I need creative time.
Once I start putting seed beads on a wire for a choker, I feel a calmness coming over me. I'm not sure what will happen, where my muse will take me and if I'll be happy with the design (to be honest, the jury is still out on this one), but this is what keeps me as sane as I can ever be and my heart is in each step.

I can't exactly know how the following artists work, but I'm sure they have their share of chores, stress and busy time. Then they sit down and put their hearts into a creation mode to bring people joy. Each piece has its own story even if you might not know it. Isn't that a wonderful thought?

Sarah's Path by LA Valley Girly
Blue fish focal lampwork bead by Beads by Melissa Vess
Around the roses go lampwork bead by Lampwork beads ... made by Kathy
Ruby red glass ladder rosary by Mary's Garden
Onyx and brass necklace by McLain Jewelry





By Cat's Wire

Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Starving Artists jewelry team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com and here on ArtFire.

8 comments:

mcstoneworks said...

Nice to hear jewelry making keeps you sane, Cat. Unfortunately life interferes with creative time.

Anonymous said...

Love your description, some of it sounds very familiar. Very nice selection of jewelry.

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

What a familiar story...except I don't have any cats getting tangled up in my steps, just an adorable puppy jumping up to grab a sock from the laundry basket....Beautiful selections from SATeam.

Caron Michelle said...

Oh how I can relate - wonderful post Cat - my substitute for pussy cats is a pesky (but adorable) cockatiel who shares my love for shiny things!

EleganceandSparkles said...

That is my life, cat's included. However, I would rather the hectic pace than boredom.

Jeanne/J3Jewelry said...

Awesome awesome post, Cat. Beautiful jewelry showcased as well. :)

DawninCal said...

If only every day were Saturday we'd have time for all the chores and plenty left over to create. Really though, it should be the other way around. Creativity first, then chores!

Speaking of creativity, you've selected gorgeous items, Cat!

RitaJC said...

Thank you so much for sharing!
Happy creating!