Thursday, March 11, 2010

This Little Tool Is Too Cool!

Since I haven't been feeling 100% lately, I am posting a reprint of a post from my own blog.

I had the pleasure of getting together with a group of fellow metalsmiths at one of their studios in Pennsylvania sometime back. Rina, the hosting metalsmith, loaned me one of her tools to square off the ends of a piece of bezel wire that I was preparing to join. It is a "Miter Cutting Jig & Vice" used to either cut or file clean 90 degree or 45 degree angles on metal wire, sheetstock or tubing. I was immediately smitten by this little contraption...being the toolaholic that I am...I asked where I could get one! Well
here is where they can be found, but oh my...these cost more than my torch...that is unless I go for the economy model. Hmm, if I opted for the economy model and had to replace it some years down the road, I could still buy another and still not have spent more than the mid-range model...oh yes, I need to take this option into serious consideration!!! (I did buy the economy model and have no regrets)

While searching for more information on this tool I came across some instructions on how to use it. Although there aren't any illustrations these
instructions are very descriptive and would be easy to follow with tool in hand.

Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists Jewelry Team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that tool. Will put it on my list of "want to have". Thanks for sharing and I hope you feel better soon.

Islandgirl said...

Oh so cruel posting pictures of tools that I don't have!

My major lust at the moment is a hydraulic press but my husband wants to build it for me.... (Never again!) so I have to find one and sneak it into the house before he knows I've bought it!

RocknWow said...

I'm fortunate enough to be able to use that tool in studio. You're right it is expensive.

Island we were going to do a hydraulic press ourselves too but found that it'd cost more then just buying one. Unless your husband has access to 'tool steel' plates for free.

Happileerving said...

I love tools, I may have to look into this one.

mcstoneworks said...

That's really cool, Angela. I bet it saves a lot of work.

Leilani said...

OH MY: the tool-o-holic in me thinks I need one... ;)

Leilani said...

Drool drool drool...very neat little contraption!