Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Am I wrong or is it smelling fishy here?

„An aquarium is a vivarium consisting of at least one transparent side in which water-dwelling plants or animals are kept. Fishkeepers use aquaria to keep fish, invertebrates, amphibians, marine mammals, turtles and aquatic plants.“

This is how Wikipedia explains the term aquarium.

You know what? I think my computer is an aquarium. It has one transparent side and I have found lots of water-dwelling animals in it. Wikipedia didn't say anything about water in an aquarium, not in these two sentences at least.

What do you say? You want proof for my theory? You think it's quite far-fetched?

So how do you explain these examples I found on Etsy?

Seahorses are fascinating animals. Did you know the male carries the eggs until they emerge from his brood pouch as fully developed, miniature seahorses?

This little fellow is not pregnant, but he sure is handsome. His recent territory is in the shop of Classic Designs by Theresa Mink.

The last few years many people began thinking all starfish, also called sea stars, are pink (they do that for the same reason many German children think cows are purple).

I don't think I'll have to say more except that that's not true. Starfish come in all kinds of colors, white with red knobby surface, red, blue, orange, purple, and yes, there are also pink ones.

I however found a rare one who can change colors just by turning around. How cool is that?

At the moment he is living with Gwenbeads.

Do you like jellyfish? No, I didn't mean to look at, I meant on your plate. About 12 species of jellyfish are harvested, mostly in Southeast Asia.

Browse the internet for recipes on cold jellyfish salad, jellyfish with vegetables from the wok or jellyfish burgers! Who? Me? If I have tried them? No, no, no … I'm vegetarian!

I am in love with these jellyfish, though. They come from Fireball Beeds by islandgirl and I wouldn't think of eating them!

You see? These are dwellers in Etsy's waters and I haven't even started with the fishes yet. There is so much more to see, come on, look around and enjoy!

Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists Jewelry Team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever topic today, and beautiful pieces!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, funny article, thx Cat, great examples too

Anonymous said...

All those pieces are beautiful but I like the seahorse the best. Great work and great article:)

Anonymous said...

Witty writing and lovely picks, thanks for a great article!

Marie Cristine said...

A very fishy topic!

Carole said...

Jellyfish? I think I just became vegetarian too.

tjrjewellery said...

Very creative piece Cat! Don't cat's eat fish?? (Just teasing - I've been vegan for almost 8 years)

Stacie @ azoho.com said...

Great post Cat- you're too funny! Love your examples. ;-)

Jenni said...

Such fun analogies! Great items too!

mcstoneworks said...

Great post. Love your aquatic theme and examples.

Been a vegetarian for over 20 years.

LunaCatJewels said...

Love the article and the humor! Great selections! Can't wait until your next one!

Cindy said...

What a clever post and a beautiful choices from the SATeam!

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

Very clever post...and beautiful SATeam designs.

Caron Michelle said...

Fabulous piece and very enjoyable, I really love reading your reviews!

Gwenbeads said...

Cute idea for a post. I love it!

Happileerving said...

Great essay Cat. I love the smell of the ocean.

Leilani said...

Beautiful work! Of course I am partial to the jellyfish bead; as they remind me of the Bay of Fundy. :)