Monday, February 8, 2010

Eye Candy: Focus on Chainmaille

It can be edgy or elegant; slinky, seductive, sexy or delicate. Maille is the chain that binds; it is the metal that links us to the past and the future.

No one knows exactly when maille was first used, but it was probably created by the Celts sometime around, or before, the 5th century. The word maille is French, and comes from the Latin macula meaning mesh of a net. Maille was the earliest form of metal armor, and, while it would have been heavy to wear, it was effective enough to be worth the extra weight in battle.

Today, of course, we wear maille for its beauty, not for protection. But, even in this day and age, wearing a beautiful piece of maille just might make you feel protected from the slings and arrows of daily life. If you'd like to give it a try, here is a small selection of the many pieces of chain maille available from the members of SATeam. 

Click on any photo to learn more about the item:






















The SATeam blog features artisan handmade creations by the etsy starving artists jewelry team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chainmaille is real fun to do. Thx for that article and the beautiful examples.

Carole said...

My experience with chain maille is limited, but it looks like tons of fun.

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

I haven't done much maille myself, but I sure do admire its beauty and its expression of strength...beautiful SATeam examples.

Anonymous said...

I've only ever made one chainmaille piece for my husband, reading this article reminds that I'd to try to some more with chainmaille-Very inspiring article thanks:)

Marie Cristine said...

Thank you for brining chainmaille to my attention again.

Cindy said...

What a neat selection of chainmaille! I love the little dodecahedron pendant!

Stacie @ azoho.com said...

Such pretty pieces used as examples of this art! Lovely.

Unknown said...

It's been quite a while since I've done any chainmaille, and just recently did a bit of box chain. You've featured some lovely selections! Thank you for including my bracelet!

tjrjewellery said...

Doing chainmaille is very therapeutic for me - a most peaceful state linking rings together. Highly recommended to do if you've never done any!

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I've done maille. It's such a satisfying technique - nice to turn of pile of shiny rings into a beautiful length of chain.

mcstoneworks said...

Beautiful examples of chainmaille.

Cat said...

Gorgeous pieces, absolutely gorgeous - and thanks for the background info!

Leilani said...

Great article on chainmaille; I adore the craftsmanship but never got into it myself.