Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I heard the lid being closed!

This is a true story. When I was about five years old, a vampire moved into our cellar. At least my older brothers told me so (ah, teenage boys, so lovely!). We had this staircase where you could see through to a dark space underneath, a storage space my mother called it, but I knew the vampire's coffin was there. I heard the lid coming down whenever I opened the cellar door. I was always a bit afraid that someday he would reach through the stairs and grab my ankle.
Needless to say, he never did. And suddenly he had disappeared. I don't quite remember for how long he lived with us and I wonder where he went to. Maybe he got a new assignment to scare another little girl. Maybe he moved to the beautiful old graveyard not far away. Anything must have been better than living in our cellar!

Anyway, my fear of the darkness which made me sleep with the blanket wrapped around my neck over the years turned into fascination. I was intrigued by the classic, seductive vampire – elegant, dark, charismatic, a gentleman, like Bela Lugosi.

And part of me is fascinated by the dark fashion – gothic. What is gothic? I let Wikipedia help me out here once more:

"Gothic fashion is a clothing style worn by members of the Goth subculture; a dark, sometimes morbid, eroticized fashion and style of dress."

A lot of people like to be just a little gothic, though. Black finger nails with ordinary blue jeans, a black velvet jacket without a frilly shirt underneath, a touch of gothic on your finger, in your ears or around your neck.

I have found a few beautiful examples how to get your gothic touch without having to wander graveyards in the dark or eerie castles at night.

Meet heavenlyflower's Dark Angel. Who wouldn't want to have him on their side? He looks as if he can impress people!


Or maybe you feel like plunging into the darkness with this beautiful choker made by Good Quill Hunting. I can see it with a white blouse and black velvet jeans for contrast. I could also see it with a white blouse and my beloved long black velvet coat .... hm .....


If you want to show that you have been bitten by your favorite vampire (elegant as I prefer or sparkly like others do), but don't really want to do without daylight's advantages forever, you could use a little trick. The Family Jewels offers your very own vampire bite and you won't even get your collars bloody!


See you in Transylvania .................................................................................


Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists Jewelry Team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Cat, what a great story! Your brother must be quite the character! I love your examples of gothic jewelry...especially the vampire bite necklace..very pretty!

Anonymous said...

I agree, beautiful examples, super story, well done.

Happileerving said...

Great story Cat!

mcstoneworks said...

Love your "gothic" picks and your great story.

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

Big brothers are all the same...great SATeam Goth examples.

Marie Cristine said...

What stinkers!
nice jewelry!

Cindy said...

What neat examples of gothic jewelry from the SATeam!

Anonymous said...

Great story and excellent Goth examples!

tjrjewellery said...

Awesome story Cat! Loved the read and I love your item selection (the dainty vampire bite necklace is just great!)!

Leilani said...

Thank you for showcasing my "dark side". :)