Sunday, February 21, 2010

Amethyst for Anne

My favorite book from childhood is Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I love Anne, the main character. She has so much enthusiasm and is so excited by life. I love this passage, where she talks about amethyst:

“I think amethysts are just sweet. They are what I used to think diamonds were like. Long ago, before I had ever seen a diamond, I read about them and I tried to imagine what they would be like. I thought they would be lovely glimmering purple stones. When I saw a real diamond in a lady's ring one day I was so disappointed I cried. Of course, it was very lovely but it wasn't my idea of a diamond. Will you let me hold the brooch for one minute, Marilla? Do you think amethysts can be the souls of good violets?"

Like Anne, I love the beauty of amethyst. I hope you will agree with us that it is worth the admiration.











Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists jewelry team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a stunning colour. Love your examples and the little story around them.

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

I LOVE Anne!!!! and I remember that passage very well. Amethysts are definitely the souls of good violets.

FeatheredGems said...

I adore amethyst. I've always felt cheated that diamonds are my birthstone--IMO they are the most boring of the "precious" gems!

Cat said...

I still have all the Anne books and remember that passage mostly because I did not wholeheartedly agree with Anne.
But I do love amethysts and you picked some great examples!

mcstoneworks said...

Beautiful amethysts. I've grown to love this stone.

Cindy said...

What a sweet story, and what beautiful choices from the SATeam to go along with it! Thanks for including my pendant!

For You Jewellery Designs said...

Stunning amethyst finds - and a lovely connection to Anne.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane :-)

tjrjewellery said...

Great passage - lovely itmes!

Atelier MariT said...

I love Amethysts.Wonderful picks to illustate the story!

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

A most admirable post as are the SATeam designs.

Happileerving said...

I agree with Anne. I think they are prettier than diamonds too and love the thought that they represent shining souls of violets.

Leilani said...

I love amethyst! Such a pretty stone!