Monday, April 4, 2011

Favorite Tool - Bracelet Mandrel


A bracelet mandrel is essential for making bangles. As I showed in a earlier blog post I solder my bangles and after that they are not round. They are then hammered on this wonderful tool! I clamp it into a vise, slide on the "not round" bangle to the stepped section that it fits on and hammer away. This photo shows a round one, I also have a oval one. I like the stepped sections, the bangles seem to sit better on them than they do on a tapered mandrel. It's heavy so watch you don't drop it on your toes!

Have you heard about the SATeam Mother’s Day Giveaway Event?  You could win one of 3 gift certificates that can be used in the shops of participating team members.  To find out how to enter and for the complete list of participating shops, please see this post.

9 comments:

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

I don't have a bracelet mandrel...I use a baseball bat. However, I do like the idea of having stepped sizes rather than using a taper...hmmm...where's my wish list?

FeatheredGems said...

I have both the round and oval stepped mandrels. I love them. I also got a mandrel holder from Stachura Co. It bolts to the bench and holds the mandrel base in a horizontal position--very helpful.

Ava said...

I too do not have a bracelet mandrel, but am hoping to replace my ax handle with one soon.

EleganceandSparkles said...

I have a stepped oval mandrel and love it. It's an essential tool.

mcstoneworks said...

Very cool tool, Nicole. I too use a bat or ax handle.

Jeanne/J3Jewelry said...

Baseball bat or bracelet mandrel, hard to decide. Either way, it's something to add to my wish list! :)

Caron Michelle said...

Such a cool tool, one on my must have list.

DawninCal said...

Someday...

I have to admit I'm loving the mental images I'm getting of you talented ladies using a baseball bat or ax handle to form cuffs!

Happileerving said...

This is a great tool. Mine is tapered smoothly. I like the idea of steps.